Conservation Enquiries

Our area covers the Islington CA7 Conservation Area (see map in drop-down menu). Any questions or queries regarding conservational issues in the area should be addressed to Islington Council, or WHPARA’s conservation representative w-kayclarke might be able to help.

Planning & Conservation Guidelines

There are special controls over what requires planning permission in the Conservation Area and these have been strengthened by an Article 4 Direction, which means that planning permission is required for various minor external works that had previously been considered as ‘permitted development’. The following is not an exhaustive list, but an indication of the sort of works that require planning permission:

  • alterations or extensions to roofs, including chimney stacks and pots
  • extensions to the original house that are over 50 cubic metres in size
  • garden sheds, garages or outbuildings over 10 cubic metres in size
  • enlargement, improvement or alteration to elevations fronting the street, including alterations to front doors or windows
  • demolition, alterations or erection of front boundary walls, fences, railings, gates or dustbin enclosures
  • painting of previously unpainted brickwork
  • cladding any part of the outside of buildings with render, pebble-dash, stone, timber, plastic or tiles
  • satellite dishes
  • creation of hardstanding fronting the street.
The Council’s prior permission, known as Conservation Area Consent, is required to demolish almost any type of building or substantial part of a building in the area. The Council wishes to retain all statutory and locally listed buildings together with all pre-1939 buildings in the area and consent will not be granted for their demolition. Redevelopment of other buildings will be considered only where this improves the appearance of the area.

If in doubt always ask the Planning Department first. Failure to obtain prior consent may involve owners in having to reinstate alterations, thus incurring extra cost. A document outlining the planning restrictions for building works in the Whitehall Park Conservation Area may be downloaded here.
The Council is committed to maintaining, protecting and increasing the tree population in the borough, and its objectives are set out in its Tree Policy document. Trees within the conservation area having a trunk diameter of 75mm at 1.5m above ground level or more require a conservation area notification to be submitted to the council’s planning department before pruning or removal.This must be in writing at least 6 weeks before you want to carry out the work. Failure to notify the council can result in enforcement action, even prosecution, of both the person undertaking the works and the person who instructed the works. There is an online form for contractors to complete. Obviously if your tree is of a smaller size than noted above there is no problem, but 75mm is not all that big! More details are on Islington Council’s ‘Trees in Conservation Areas’ page, and here’s a direct link to the online form.

Painted Brickwork

If you’re wondering if you’re permitted to paint your brickwork the answer is straightforward: if it’s already painted then you can, if it’s not you can’t. Simple as that. The Council suggests we avoid vivid “modern” colours that might appear brash - there is nothing like the repainting of a property in bright colours to get some residents hot under the collar. There are many different examples of painted brickwork in the area, the most popular being a sludge colour presumably chosen to emulate brick, which some among us might consider to be as great an affront as the primary pastels, especially when combined with black- or white-painted pointing. External decorative plasterwork (which you are allowed to repaint) was originally painted off-white or in pastel colours, often to resemble stone. Front doors were usually painted in darker shades, the most popular late-Victorian colour being black. The Council can give advice about how best to remove paint from brickwork if necessary.

Other Pages

See sub-menus for articles on graffiti, street signs etc, or click below.


A list of some nature reserves, parks and other green spaces on the NATURE page.